The breadth of our general experience has enabled us to provide significant contributions to defence teams in a number of criminal cases.
- We acted as accounting experts in the successful defence of a director in a well publicised case involving alleged misappropriation of monies from pension funds. Our work involved extracting data from a warehouse full of evidential documents and the completion of over twenty separate research papers to assist Counsel.
- We prepared an expert report, which was influential in the acquittal of an accountant, who was facing ten charges of false accounting under the Theft Act in connection with the transfer of funds to an overseas subsidiary of a listed group.
- While acting as the accounting expert and principal prosecution witness for the Serious Fraud Office in their investigation and prosecution of a director of an investment company for a £130 million securities fraud, we reconstructed the group’s structure and accounting records to determine when it became insolvent. This involved analysing over 9,000 transactions totalling £10 billion. We also investigated the Defendant’s spending patterns and determined that he had tax liabilities in excess of £40 million.
- We assisted in the successful defence of a director alleged to have dealt following receipt of inside information.
- We were appointed to assist in a case involving the alleged fraudulent sale of a company that went into liquidation some time later. After careful analysis of the trading performance of the company, both before and after the sale, we were able to demonstrate that the losses arose at least six months after the date of sale. The prosecution of the vendors did not proceed.
Contact Julian Wilkinson on 020 7651 1140 or Charles Lazarevic on 020 7651 1043 for further information.